The Young School has consistently worked to merge the Reggio and RIE approaches with the “best practices” that are recognized in the state of Maryland. Validating these efforts, our unique Pre-K curriculum has been accepted as an Individually Developed Curriculum by the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE). The acceptance was based on a professional review by individuals representing all levels of early childhood education.
The Young School at King’s Contrivance and Kendall Ridge, Columbia, Maryland and Honeygo Village Center in White Marsh, Maryland have earned Full MSDE Accreditation.
All locations of the Young School are MSDE Approved.
MSDE’s Critical Elements of Quality in Early Care and Education Programs:
In Program Administration
- Efficient Program Administration
- Systematic Evaluation
- Ongoing Staff Development
- Continuity of Learning from Birth through the Primary Grades
In Program Operation
- Developmentally Appropriate Learning Environment, Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment
Home and Community Partnerships
- Close and Continuous Home-Program Cooperation
- Collaboration among Early Care Education Providers
MSDE Standards for Implementing Quality Early Childhood Programs outline a self-appraisal and accreditation/validation process. These processes provide a consistent set of quality standards and best practices for Maryland’s early care and education professional that is a goal to achieving high-quality programs.