Infant Cottages - 8 Weeks to 2 Years Old
Our Infant Cottages allow every child to be free to explore their space and interact with their Cottage community of familiar teachers and multiage peers.
Each Cottage has its own Cottage Director, who supports the teachers through training, role modeling, behavior and classroom management. The families have a primary contact who has spent the day in the classroom with the children and teachers. School is a place where children and teachers spend a great deal of time together, and at the Young School we make each cottage a warm, welcoming and dynamic place of learning.
Your Child's Safety is Our Top Priority
- We have keypad entry only at each school.
- All six schools have 24/7 surveillance cameras in and around the schools
- Parents must sign their child in and out each day.
- There is always someone in the front office greeting all families during drop off and pick up.
- On-going professional development training throughout the year is provided to all staff and safety is covered in those trainings.
- We were already safe and clean, but now we are going above and beyond to keep your child and our staff safe during COVID-19. You can learn more here.
Infants are respectfully viewed as initiators and self-learners rather than passive young beings.
Fostering independence is a primary focus through a child’s stay at the Young School. This empowers children to become competent and confident communicators as they grow through their Cottage.
We're on Your Child's Schedule
- Feedings and naps are on demand.
- Diapers are changed every two hours
and on demand.
- AM and PM Outside stroller rides,
weather permitting. Indoor rides in cases
of inclement weather.
- Free exploration and play, stories, music,
and one-on-one activities through the day.
Your Infant's growth is tracked all the way through Pre-Kindergarten.
Children’s learning in all domains is documented in formal child portfolios for all ages, infants through PreK. This portfolio grows with them as they grow through our school.
Curriculum Designed for your Child
- The basis of the RIE approach is respect for each individual child as a unique human being.
- We strive for an environment that supports the natural gross motor development of each individual child.
- Majority of the day is spent interacting with children in a similar development range.
- Ratio: 3 Children to 1 Teacher
- 6 Children and 2 Teachers per classroom.
- Children move as a group with the same teachers and friends as they get older.
Brightwheel Communication App
Parent-school communication is key at the Young School. Brightwheel is a web and app-based software that allows teachers to send electronic updates and reminders to their parents throughout the day. This parent-teacher communication application is utilized in our Infant Cottages up until your child enters our Preschool Cottage.